It’s been a whole year since my last post and there’s a massive backlog of questions that I won’t be able to go through. I’ll summarise a few popular ones here:
- Thank you for the content.
- You’re welcome! It’s a shame the series had to be put on halt due to what happened last year.
- Blah blah [insert_profanity] something about game isn’t P2W.
- Except it still is. I would have written an entire article explaining artisan memory when I first saw them put it in the cash shop on reddit. The TLDR is you’ll get 300-400 million average return every 1 billion gold dropped into enhancing. This does not apply to jewellery (obviously).
- Unless you define win as having nothing to do with gear. If that’s the case then I don’t think there’s a single MMO on the market you would consider P2W.
- Where did you go?
- RL had been semi-busy so I dropped a lot of blogging / writing stuff.
- I went back to TERA for a bit because of old friends and we’ve since moved to FFXIV on Aether and Overwatch.
- I was meant to make a post here explaining where I went but I totally forgot.
- What happened to the theorycrafting group?
- TL;DR – It was disbanded shortly after I left last year. Most of the core members were disgusted by Kakao’s handling of the situation and had moved onto other things.
- Are there any cool new theorycrafting resources now? Especially pertaining combat stats and gear enhancing strategy. If yes, PM me and I’d be interested in reading it anyway.
- Will you ever come back to BDO and make more content?
- The short answer: is no.
- The long answer:
- I actually do enjoy doing theorycrafting for games, especially the data-crunching part.
- I don’t enjoy BDO forced mundane time investment and RNG/P2W based progression.
- I was going to compile a massive theorycrafting resource for FFXIV: Stormblood, but to my surprise there are many good theorycrafters in that community, and they published a good chunk of it before I got knowledgeable enough on core mechanics.
- While BDO is relatively interesting to theorycraft due to completely counterintuitive mechanics and very complicated maths, for me to grind an account to that point is simply not worth the potential theorycrafting fun. BDO progression is simply too cancer for anything else to matter.
- In other words, there’s 0% chance I’ll come back unless someone donates/sells me a high end account.
- In the latter case there will be no need for progression and I won’t mind dedicating my free time to exclusively theorycrafting / building a theorycraft community.
Also, how is this blog maintaining 15k views a month without updates? Sure that’s lower than the 150k a month last year, but that’s probably due to game declining popularity.
If I don’t forget again I’ll probably check back here once in a while, but if anyone wants to PM me even just for chit-chat, the Discord account I used when I played BDO (Bernkastel#5066) is still active and so is my reddit account (Garandou). Alternatively you can still comment on WordPress but I may or may not see it.